puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Prayer for the Gifts to Seek God and Live in Him



Father, in your goodness grant me
the intellect to comprehend you,
the perception to discern you,
and the reason to appreciate you.

In your kindness endow me
with the diligence to look for you,
the wisdom to discover you,
and the spirit to apprehend you.

In your graciousness bestow on me
a heart to contemplate you,
ears to hear you, eyes to see you,
and a tongue to speak of you.

In your mercy confer on me
a conversation pleasing to you,
the patience to wait for you,
and the perseverance to long for you.

Grant me a perfect end - your holy presence.
Amen.

-- St. Benedict of Nursia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home