puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Words of Wisdom from JP's preacher

Hmm, I was just calling myself on the spiritual carpet before Mass this morning over this very issue.

A Tendency to Judge Is an Obstacle to Hearing God, Says Preacher

VATICAN CITY, JULY 20, 2004
The temptation to judge others is the greatest obstacle in listening to God, says preacher of the Pontifical Household.

Capuchin Father Raniero Cantalamessa made that comment today in reference to John Paul II's affirmation Sunday, when the Pope said at his Angelus address: "To listen to the Word of God is the most important thing in our lives."

Father Cantalamessa told Vatican Radio: "In addition to the external obstacles imposed by the rhythm of modern life, there is an even more dangerous noise: the one which impedes our hearts from listening to the Word of God when judging others."

This attitude "makes us judges who judge the whole world. This silent 'noise' of the heart must be silenced in our minds -- at times even with violence," he said.

"Enough, enough of this sort of reasoning, of complaints!" the priest said. He said people must tell themselves: "I want to read the Word of God, I want to listen to the Word of God, I want to repeat within me the Word of God."

It is an exercise that helps "to pass from useless, noisy, egoistic thoughts to thoughts that come from God," he added.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ambrose here (working on my SECOND week in the Outer Banks)
OUCH

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home