puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Nunc dimittis

Today is a fitting day to post the Nunc Dimittis, the Canticle of Simeon, which is part of today's Gospel reading. It's the song of praise that Simeon sings when Jesus is presented in the temple and he recognizes Him as the long-awaited Messiah. The Canticle of Simeon has been part of Compline, or Night Prayer, since the 4th century, in both the Roman Office and in various and monastic offices. Here it is in both English (the translation from the breviary) and Latin.

Lord, now you let your servant go in peace;
your word has been fulfilled:
my own eyes have seen the salvation
which you have prepared in the sight of every people:
a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel.


Nunc dimittis servum tuum, Domine Secundum verbum tuum in pace:
Quia viderunt oculi mei salutare tuum
Quod parasti ante faciem omnium populorum:
Lumen ad revelationem gentium,
Et gloriam plebis tuae Israel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home