puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Get busy, papabile

I was just reading about Pope Benedict's first general audience, in which he "read out brief summaries of his catechesis, which he had delivered in Italian, in various other languages: English, French, Spanish and German. He then gave brief greetings to various groups in Croatian, Slovenian and Polish." Man, after this Pope and the late beloved John Paul II, who was fluent in 8 languages, the bar has been raised, and I think you can argue definitively. Anybody who fancies himself papabile these days had better get cracking on the languages.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

"Handicappers" were using that same arguement for and against potential Popes going in to the conclave

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home