puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Opening rites

What a lovely day in Rome. The Kyrie is being sung while the camera pans around St. Peter's Square. And now the Gloria, being sung by a huge choir, including a boys' choir that sounds quite lovely. Is it just me, or is Cardinal Arinze smiling even more than usual? Might be thinking, "I'm glad this isn't me." :)

Fox has someone translating the Latin, but no annoying commentary. This is great.

Collect (opening prayer):
O God, who in the designs of Your Wisdom has built Your Church on the Rock of Peter, head of the apostolic college, watch over me, Your servant, with love: You who have chosen me as successor of St. Peter, make that I render visibly to Your people the principle and foundation of unity in the faith and of communion in the love of Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord. He is God and lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, from ages to ages. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home