puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Solemnity of the Nativity of John the Baptist





Unfortunately, I don't have time to do the lengthy post I'd like to do for this major solemnity, and I already know that I will not have any time to blog tomorrow at all. I will just link to this page, which has some background on the solemnity, as well as this page, which contains the text of the traditional Latin hymn sung on this day, "Ut queant laxis." And this page will tell you the importance this particular hymn had in terms of the development of the musical scale that we use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home