Not a real blogger
"I'm not a real blogger." That's what I think more and more as I surf around the blogosphere. And I don't think that's a bad thing, either, just an observation. Part of me is amazed by the amount of links many bloggers post by 10:00 AM and by the sheer number of words they write. How do they do it? When do they find time to do it? A 200-word post takes me the better part of an hour or two to write, which is why I only manage one or two of them a week. I suppose we can chalk that up to a combination of factors: 1) I think slowly, and 2) I'm not someone who writes with ease...although anyone who's heard me try to convey a point in a verbal face-to-face exchange would undoubtedly and wholeheartedly describe it as a torturous experience. They would be among the first to suggest that I should stick with writing at all times
But I can't help but wonder, do most people really and truly have opinions about absolutely everything? Before blogs I thought that opinion pieces were the province of a select few -- those rare birds who could really spout off about everything in a reasonably convincing and eloquent manner. They were a select few, my theory went, because most people don't have Definite Opinions about everything under the sun. I based that assumption primarily on the fact that I don't have Definite Opinions on everything. I actually have very few deeply held opinions, and even fewer reasonably informed ones. You simply won't get me to argue about politics too much because I know so little about it in the end. And as for lots of other things, like economics or TV or sports or movies or music or [ insert topic du jour here ], I'm equally ill-informed and uninterested in sharing my half-baked opinion. I mean I don't think anyone really needs to know (or wants to know) what I think about much of anything -- not even my one reader, who actually knows me and likes me...or at least pretends to. :)
So much blogging, particularly the political stuff and the theology/liturgy wars that erupt in St. Blog's, is just so much "blah, blah, blah." There are a few standouts: the solid and welcome good sense of an Amy Welborn or of frequent commenter Sherry Weddell, the musings (and sometimes rantings) of a clever wordsmith like Mark Shea, or the lovely family stories from many of the Catholic Mom blogs of note. But I don't get the bloggers who truck solely in church gossip or the commenters who float all over the place turning every single thread, regardless of topic, into Liturgical Wars or a soapbox for RadTrad theology or gripe sessions about church architecture or the episcopacy.
I've got a post rattling around in my head that's kind of about this -- it's tangentially related, at least. I've been becoming more and more aware of the contrast between the real world Catholics whom I see daily -- at morning Mass, for example -- and the ones I come across during my time traversing St. Blog's. I want to get something written about it, only I'm having trouble getting it out in words. Perhaps it simply has to rattle around my brain a while longer, until I can form more of a Definite Opinion. Who knows when that will be? Chalk the delay up to the fact that I'm not a real blogger.


2 Comments:
Oh, am I lookking forward to THAT post
You know, I've been thinking a lot about that, particularly when I am at my home church in Kane. I see a bunch of people I went to school with, some who just go every Sunday, some that have become Eucharistic ministers, nearly all with kids in tow. They don't know who Mark Shea is. They probably have never heard of Commonweal, therefore if someone introduced them to Grant Gallicho, they would automatically spit on him. They may have seen Deal Hudson's name on some sort of mass mailing because they are Republicans, but they have no idea who he is. They probably aren't even aware that Faithful Conservative Catholics Homeschool, because around there only the crazy Pentecostals or parents of really strange kids homeschool.
World of difference between St. Blog's and St. Callistus
Post a Comment
<< Home