puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Sunday, March 19, 2006

"The last of the first"

In 1931, 10 sisters came from Abtei St. Walburga in Eichstaett, Bavaria, to Latrobe, Pennsylvania, to serve in the kitchens of Saint Vincent Archabbey, Seminary, and College. These same 10 sisters were the foundation stones of St. Emma Monastery in Greensburg. This week's diocesan paper has this nice profile of Sister Gaudentia, the last survivor of that original group. Sister Gaudentia celebrated her 92nd birthday on Thursday.

During one of my visits to the monastery last summer, Mother Mary Anne told me that Sister Gaudentia was in the hospital with heart failure and was not expected to last long. Nine months later, she's still hanging in there, although she is bedridden in the infirmary. Apparently she can still be quite spirited, though. The Sisters do share some good stories of the things she says and tries to do, often at about 2:00 AM. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home