puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

The Memorial of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha



Much like Junipero Serra, Kateri is a very important figure in North America, so her memorial is celebrated as an obligatory one in dioceses in the U.S., even though she hasn't been canonized yet. To read all about Blessed Kateri, check out American Catholic's Saint of the Day, which features a particularly well done biography of her. (You can kinda tell the entries for the saints and blesseds they really dig from the ones they just kind of toss together because they need to.) Kateri was beatified in 1980 by Pope John Paul II.

I like the image above because it actually makes her look Native American. So many of her holy cards portray her as little more than a slightly tan white girl. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home