puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Thursday, February 03, 2005

People are funny

Today is the feast of St. Blase....so of course Mass was packed this morning with people who had come to "get the throat blessing." Of course, next week we'll see lots of people show up on Ash Wednesday; not that they show up for Mass during the week even when it's an actual Holy Day of Obligation or anything, but they'll be there on Ash Wednesday to "get their ashes." There is that old joke about people who only come to Mass on Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday -- you can always count on Catholics to show up when you're giving stuff away. ;)

I don't mean to sound like a crank about it. I find it mildly amusing mostly, but also kind of sad when I think about it. People seem to be so unaware of -- or maybe "disconnected from" is the better phrase -- the fact that they can come to Mass on any random Monday morning and receive Christ himself. People fall all over themselves to get the sacramentals, but the Sacrament of all Sacraments seems to leave so many of them cold. That's so sad.

I sometimes think that's what God's view of us, all of us, must be like most of the time -- like He can't quite believe how we can just flat-out fail to see all the gifts He's put right in front of us, all the grace He's poured out right into our laps. I can't fathom how He's not completely exasperated with us at this point. I'm very grateful that He's so patient and merciful, but I can't say I understand it. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

St. Blase was big in my parish growing up, and then died away when we got a new priest. they did the blessings in the CCD (remember when it was called that) classes on Saturday for the school kids and then after all the masses that weekend for the adults. (Rather than on the feast itself).
I think that St. Blase traditions must have some sort of ethnic association? Like it is super important to Polish people of a particular region or something like that? It could explain why only some parishes obseve St. Blase and when they do they are mobbed. I hate to say that there are times when our own traditions are divorced from Eucharist, but face it, they are. A lot of traditions are particularly wrapped up in ethnic identity, too. Particular patron saints are big deals to some and not to others.
AndI don't think God will ever gget frustrated with us , just you:-)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Did you see this? It is kinda sorta realted to what you wrote.
http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2005/02/tis_almost_the_.html

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home