puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Of boxing kangaroos

About 5 years ago I went to the wedding of a co-worker. At the reception I sat next to another co-worker, Brendan, who started to drink a little and then proceeded to get very silly. Before long, he had shared with me the fact that perhaps nothing makes him laugh more than boxing kangaroos. He said he loves the way they have that blank expression on their faces as they pummel drunk Australian guys in the face. Ever since then, boxing kangaroos have been kind of a running joke between the two of us.

So last night I was at work and the phone rang at 2:04 AM. Now, I always brace myself when our phone rings during my shift at night because, of course, we don't get many calls under normal circumstances. When the phone does ring, then typically I'm going to have an angry client on the other end who's in the middle of a meltdown because their caption file won't work properly and they're already over their deadline to encode the network master tape -- you get the picture. Let's just say TV producers, who are not known for their patience, like to swear at you in such situations. So when the phone rang at 2:04 AM, I winced and picked it up gingerly and gave my official supervisory company hello spiel. And I hear Brendan on the other end of the phone laughing hysterically. "Okay," he says when he calms down a bit, "You have to open up your Internet Explorer and type in this URL." He reads it to me:

http://www.asseenontvandmore.com/bkapu.html

And I type it in to the address bar and hit enter....and I promptly start laughing hysterically, too. (Click the link; you'll see what I did.)

He's ordering one for each of us. We're going to make them fight when it gets too boring during senior staff meetings. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

'way better than the boxin nun

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home