puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

They're still at it

The Sudanese government has arrested and detained yet another international aid worker over the same report detailing rapes in Darfur. Both aid workers are with the Dutch branch of Doctors Without Borders.

Vincent Hoedt, Darfur coordinator for MSF Holland, was arrested yesterday in the western area of Nyala and taken to Khartoum for questioning. The organisation's country director, Paul Foreman, was arrested on Monday and charged with spying and spreading false information. He was released on bail and forbidden to leave the country.

The MSF report, The Crushing Burden of Rape: Sexual Violence in Darfur, was published in March. Based on the treatment of 500 women over a four-and-a-half month period in Darfur, it details nearly 300 cases.

The report contains harrowing accounts by anonymous victims who tell of being held, beaten and raped repeatedly for several days. The report says more than 80% of the victims identified their attackers as government soldiers or members of government-allied Janjaweed militia.

The article also contains this tidbit, with no further info: "In a separate development, Sudan has also arrested a translator who went with the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, last weekend to hear the testimony of rape victims."

But Reuters reports the translator was "harassed but not arrested." I suppose one is technically better than the other, but sheesh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home