puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A story from the Desert Fathers

A certain monk died joyfully because he had never in his life condemned anyone. He was lazy, careless, disinclined to prayer, but throughout his entire life he had never judged anyone. And when he lay dying, he was full of joy. The brethren asked him how he could die so joyfully with all his sins, and he replied, "I have just seen the angels, and they showed me a page with all my many sins. I said to them, 'The Lord said: "Judge not, that ye be not judged." I have never judged anyone and I hope in the mercy of God, that He will not judge me.' And the angels tore up the sheet of paper." Hearing this, the monks wondered at it and learned from it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Okay this is crazy...what about "fraternal correction"

7:41 PM  
Blogger LC said...

I'm not sure what you're asking -- fraternal correction on whose part? The monk's? Or his brethern? There's a huge difference between fraternal correction and judging people.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

The monk's--I guess I don't understand fraternal correction. In St. Blog's it involves tearing someone down

2:20 AM  
Blogger LC said...

Maybe I'll write something over the weekend about this. Might make an interesting post. Today and tomorrow are crazy busy, so I won't have time for much blogging for a few days, though.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home