puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Thought for the day

The purpose of the first part of Lent is to bring us to compunction. "Compunction" is etymologically related to the verb "to puncture" and suggests the deflation of our inflated egos, a challenge to any self-deceit about the quality of our lives as disciples of Jesus. By hitting us again and again with demands which we not only fail to obey, but which we come to recognize as being quite beyond us, the gospel passages are meant to trouble us, to confront our illusions about ourselves. "Remember, you are dust..." From this perspective, lenten penance may be more effective if we fail in our resolutions than if we succeed, for its purpose is not to confirm us in our sense of virtue but to bring home to us our radical need of salvation.

:: Mark Searle ::

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good and needed reminder. Thanks.

I keep thinking this Lent of the words in the Rule of Benedict, "The life of a monk should be a continuous Lent...."

Hey LC, thanks for all the really great thoughts you post. A lot of depth. I don't comment often enough.

Peace to you

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home