puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Things I learned during my visit

I was able to spend (almost) 2 days at St. Emma's. I decided to head home before the snowstorm hit, so I had to cut my stay shorter than I had planned. Instead of leaving after Mass on Saturday morning, I left after Compline (night prayer) on Friday night. But despite the brevity of my stay, I still managed to learn these important things.

1. Watching an inaugural address during lunch while surrounded by habited nuns is a very strange experience.
They were all giddy because it was a special occasion for them to watch TV.

2. Attending a nun's birthday party is also a strange experience.
Sister Mary Therese turned 72. Some of her family came to visit, bringing with them cake and ice cream. Old German nuns will actually squeal when given ice cream. I did not know this before. :)

3. No matter how early you get to chapel, there will always be a nun there before you.
Vigils was supposed to begin at 5:15 AM. Being the nocturnal freak that I am, I was wide awake at 3:30. I got up and showered and got dressed, then headed to the chapel. I got there at 4:15 AM. Sister Mary Therese was already there....surprisingly, after all of that late-night birthday reveling she did.

4. Gregorian chant notation can be baffling to follow.
Take my word for it.

5. My favorite moment of the day came right at the end.
Compline always ends with a Marian hymn or prayer. The sisters all process to the statue of Mary that's located in a side alcove of the chapel. Then they sing a hymn, which varies depending on the season and/or feast, sometimes in English and sometimes in Latin. Last night it was my favorite Latin Marian hymn, Alma Redemptoris Mater, which is the only one I know the melody well enough that I'm able to join in. (But it is still me singing, so that doesn't mean it sounds good, just that I'm at least right with the melody.) Then the Prioress blesses each sister (and guest) with holy water, there's a period of silent prayer, and then they leave. Grand Silence begins with the end of Compline.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

This is great. I am linking to this :-)

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home