puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Taking suggestions

I'm planning an adult ed. session on the writings of Pope John Paul II and am trying to pick out a list of the most accessible and spiritually fruitful stuff he wrote -- a list of some stuff that won't scare off people who don't have a backround in theology or philosophy. It can be any of his writings: books, encyclicals, Apostolic letters, etc. Obviously the "popular works" like Gift and Mystery and Crossing the Threshold of Hope need to be on the list. In terms of encyclicals, Apostolic letters, and other papal writings, my list so far includes Dies Domini (On Keeping the Lord's Day Holy), Redemptor Hominis (The Redeemer of Man), Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), Ecclesia de Eucharistia (On the Eucharist and Its Relationship to the Church), Rosarium Virginis Mariae (On the Most Holy Rosary), and the Letter to Families. Those are off the top of my head. What do you think? Anything else coming to mind? And do you disagree and think any of these might be too heavy after all?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

You got to do his poetry, too. Word?

3:34 PM  
Blogger LC said...

Yeah, that'll be on the list. Any of the 5 books released by mainstream publishers are a given.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home