puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Saturday, May 14, 2005

German nuns dig having a German Pope!

The Benedictine Nuns at St. Emma Monastery in Greensburg, whose motherhouse is the Abbey of St. Walburg in Eichstaett, Bavaria, Germany, are thrilled about our new Bavarian Pope. You can read a little more about their reactions to Pope Benedict's election in this article. Pictured in the photo below are Mother Mary Anne Noll, OSB, prioress of St. Emma's (left) and Sister Maria Glaubitz, OSB, Director of Novices for the monastery.




Sister Maria is a native of Germany, having only come to St. Emma's about 5 years ago from the abbey in Bavaria. Sister Maria and I recently bonded over our mutual appreciation for Black Forest cuckoo clocks like this one.




We had one in my house as a kid, as did my Grandma. My parents brought them back from Germany; they lived in the Black Forest region for two years when my dad was stationed there in the Army. If you've ever heard one of these clocks, it's a very distinctive cuckoo. Last time I visited St. Emma's, my face must've lit up when I heard the one on the wall, since ours has been broken for years and no longer makes any sound. Seeing my face, Sister Maria said brightly, "Oh, you like my cuckoo clock?" Sister Renata replied quickly, "If she does, then she's the only person besides you who actually likes that thing." :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home