puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Friday, May 13, 2005

Mass with the Martyrs

This was in Catherine Smibert's weekly column in Zenit yesterday. I thought this was a very cool read....and if I ever do manage to make it to Rome, I am so there. If you know anyone going to Rome, pass along the info about the Mass.

As one of the most imperative sites to visit on a tourist's list, the Colosseum is often the subject of a few photos and awe-inspired stares at its grandeur. Yet, last week I discovered a way for Catholics to make it more of a pilgrimage.

At 3:30 p.m. each Saturday, one of the exit doors is opened for about 40 minutes to let in those interested in attending the 4 p.m. mass.

The only two magic words required for your entry are "La Messa?" Not only will this gain you access to the exquisite chapel, but also allow you to beat the queues and the cost ($12) of entering the structure itself.

When arriving at the tiny chapel itself, I was struck by the intricate art fresco depicting the Assumption of Our Blessed Mother which dominates the wall behind the altar.

Following the Mass, an elderly man distributed prayer cards with this very image printed on them, and a prayer to accompany it. He informed me that he was a part of the group of custodians over the chapel called "Il Circolo San Pietro" (St. Peter's Circle).

Entrusted with a variety of tasks throughout Rome, one must contact the "Circle" at their headquarters in the Vatican (Piazza San Calisto) if a pilgrimage group wishes to request that their chaplain concelebrate the Italian Mass in the language of the group.

When I asked for a bit of background to the grotto-like chapel, my new companion just pointed to the various marble plaques located on each wall.

It seemed hard for everyone to comprehend the exact date of its original design and consecration, but from my rusty Latin, I could determine that the place had been re-consecrated in 1936 after World War I. In fact, it was also used as a place to hide those under persecution during World War II.

On May 30, 1983, Cardinal Ugo Poletti consecrated it to Our Lady of Mercy as another plaque reads: "Mary, strength of martyrs…welcome those who turn to your mercy."

The inscription goes on to inform us that on April 20, just one year later, Pope John Paul II prayed his vespers in the chapel prior to participating in the Stations of the Cross procession on Good Friday in 1984.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home