puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Friday, May 13, 2005

This morning's petitions

The petitions really struck me as I was praying Lauds this morning. Just thought I'd share them.

Honor and glory to God for ever and ever. May he make us rich in hope and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Let us pray:
Lord, come to our aid and save us.

Almighty Father, you know that we are weak, even when we pray,
-- Give us your Spirit to pray on our behalf.
Send forth your Spirit, light of radiant joy,
-- to take possession of our hearts.
Lord, we are the work of your hands,
-- do not leave us in captivity to our sins.
Help us to show reverence for those who are weak in faith,
-- may we never be hard or impatient with them, but always treat them with love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home