puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Museum news

A new exhibit just opened at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History about the Bog People. This is a traveling exhibit, and the Carnegie will be the first museum in the U.S. to host it, as well as the only museum in the eastern portion of the country that will host the exhibit at all. It will run through January 23, 2006. I'll definitely have to spend a day at the museum for this one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

I am thinking about going to this, too, but this kind of thing creeps me out.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Kate and Crispian went to this today...i'll see if she has time to give you the rundown.
It is $3 extra dollars beyond admission. They even charge this to memebers who get into the regular museums until 3.
Best to make a day of it...go see kidsize at the art museum if you have time. You can get through it pretty quickly actually.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about creating the mood, I think. The Bog People is on the 3rd floor of the museum. So you have to walk throught "Bird Hall" which is a long narrow passageway with giant and small dead or rendered birds behind glass. To see these dead birds starts you a bit on the path of creepiness. The door to the Special Exhibit area is big and opens to a world of loud creepy music and holographic images floating over corpses and material findings (like Roman coins, pottery, fertility offerings, etc. The display is among the most creative and impressive from a multimedia perspective. I don't want to destroy the surprize, but I really like how the things are exhibited. Much of the content talked about ultimate sacrifices to the gods- I skipped those things so it wouldn't totally upset Crispian- the sacrificial lambs were often young children.

At the end of the exhibit, you get to do this cool "Bog Science Investigation" where you select a clipboard, examine bones, skull, stomach contents, etc. to determine various things about the person and his/her death (Crispian and I ended up with a young woman who was probably sacrificed- strangulation).

In summary- it's very cool, and yes, very creepy.

10:46 AM  
Blogger LC said...

Sounds cool. Now I really want to go. Thanks for the info, Kate!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home