Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey
New Rosary path at St. Emma's
My favorite nuns, the Sisters of Saint Benedict in Greensburg, have a new addition to the grounds of their retreat center -- a newly installed Rosary path. The link will take you to the article about it in last week's Catholic Accent, the diocesan newspaper. The grounds at St. Emma monastery also contain outdoor Stations of the Cross, which circle around the nuns' cemetery, as well as a large outdoor crucifixion scene in the center of the cemetery.
3 Comments:
So is this open to the public, or only for those on retreat?
Oh, it's open to the public. I haven't been up there since they installed it, but I have a pretty good idea of where it is on the grounds. If it's where I think it is, then it goes back behind the monastery and retreat house where there's a field and some woods.
You can pretty much go to St. Emma's and wander around at will anytime you want to. They invite people to visit the grounds anytime and to feel free to join them for prayer anytime, too. The chapel is left unlocked all day, until after Compline ends, I think.
Oh, yeah -- and they have a kickass bookstore and gift shop there as well. One of the best Catholic bookstores in Western PA...which I feel pretty secure in saying, being something of an afficiando. ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home