puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Friday, November 18, 2005

A story from the Desert Fathers

When Abba Macarius was returning from the marsh to his cell one day, carrying some palm-leaves, he met the devil on the road with a scythe. The latter struck at him as much as he pleased, but in vain. The devil finally said to him, "What is your power, Macarius, that makes me powerless against you? All that you do, I do, too. You fast, and so do I. You keep vigil, and I do not sleep at all. In one thing only do you beat me." Abba Macanus asked what that was. He said, "Your humility. Because of that, I can do nothing against you."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lori!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Oh no, we got to keep it clean around here. Darcy is in the house :-)

7:54 PM  
Blogger LC said...

Yes, Darcy and I had a lovely Friday evening together, watching "Sense & Sensibility" and exchanging blog URLs with one another. She says she will be popping in to visit. :)

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home