puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Thursday, May 26, 2005

All right, Ambrose

I'll play along. Those of you who don't regularly read Ambrose's blog should go check out this post of hers first so you'll understand the point of this exercise. She tagged me to answer next.

This was hard for me because I truly do know very little about art in general, and even less about American art. Most of the art I favor tends to be medieval, which obviously excludes the Americans. :)

Okay, so I'm supposed to pick, 1) my favorite American painting and, 2) my favorite painting in America.

American painting:




I really love this one, Flight into Egypt by Henry Ossawa Tanner. I don't think the artist is famous (is he?) but I just love the painting.


Painting in America:

Since I don't know whether any of my favorite Chagalls are in the U.S -- they're not at the Met or the MoMA anyway...I searched their collections online -- I'm going to go with this El Greco, The Miracle of Christ Healing the Blind. Visit the link if you'd like to see it bigger. The larger jpeg was too big to post here.





And although I wasn't asked to pick my favorite sculpture in America, I'm going to anyway. For some reason I just love this one, Mourner by Étienne Bobillet. I remember how much I loved it when I saw it at the Met.




As you can see, I'm hopelessly representational in my tastes. I find most modern art interesting, but I don't really like it in a personal way. And the less representational it is, the harder it is for me to connect with it. I remember seeing Jackon Pollack paintings in New York. I knew I was supposed to be impressed, but I just felt like I wasn't getting it at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

I think I am impressed by the size of Pollack paintings and how they make your brain process so much at a time. I prefer Barnett Newman over Pollack every day of the week, and he is the complete opposite of Pollack. I love abstract art as well as representational, but the abstract art for me at least cannot appear to be an exercise in skill. Anyone can be physically skilled in the practice of art. Make it mean something to me. I guess those rules apply to all art. MAybe I should post that on my blog, too

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Now get someone to tag us so we can do the Caesar's Bath thing. It is everywhere but my blog--Catholic blogs, art blogs, crappy blogs.....

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home