puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Birds!


The black-capped chickadee

Fascinating news broke this week about my second-favorite bird, the chickadee. And yes, I
do actually have favorite birds. Around the age of 8 or 9, I wanted to be an ornithologist (professional bird-watcher) when I grew up. That would've been shortly after I wanted to be a professional tennis player or a Charlie's Angel but before I wanted to be an astronomer. :) In fact, I spent the better part of several years sitting in the crooks of trees with a pair of binoculars, The Audubon Field Gude to North American Birds, and a notebook. Yes, I was an exceedingly odd child.

Anyway, the hot bird news o' the week is that researchers have just figured out that the chickadee call is complex and intended to convey the size and threat level of an approaching predator. You can read all about it here.

Incidentally, the article also makes brief mention of my very favorite bird, the red-winged blackbird.

Rounding out the top three for me is the chipping sparrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Somewhere across the state I was waking up at 5 am at the same time armed with my bird guide and joining my 4th grade teacher for pre-dawn birding expeditions around the rural areas of Kane. You are not so strange.
RedWinged Blackbird, also my favorite. What a weird choice,huh? Scarlett Tanager almost replaced it, but I have only ever seen one, so Red Winged Blackbird it is.
Maybe Puritas Corbin isn't the Anchoress...maybe she is Ambrose :-)

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home