puritas cordis

Monastic writers have a phrase that they use to describe what is necessary to enter into contemplation or communion with God. They call this "puritas cordis" or "an undivided heart." I picked the name 'cause I'm a sucker for a cool Latin phrase...but primarily because aiming for an undivided heart seems like the best way to spend your life. I can't promise all the posts here will lead to the lofty heights of contemplation, but I hope they will at least provide food for the journey

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Book Tag

Ambrose tagged me to do this, so I shall comply.

Total number of books I own:
Oh, my. I'd guess well over 1,000. I am a serious biblioholic.

Last book I bought:
I went on a bit of a spree in Border's a few days ago. I went in to buy David McCullough's 1776...and left with that one plus In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden, God and the World by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, and Swimming with Scapulars by Matthew Lickona.

Last book I read:
Discourses & Sayings by Dortheos of Gaza. I know -- you're going, "Who?" He was one of the early Desert Fathers -- slightly later than Saint Benedict.

Books I'm reading now:
God is With Us by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, Swimming with Scapulars by Matthew Lickona, and 1776 by David McCullough.

Books that have been important to me:
Wow. This could be a long list. :) Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra, Plato's Euthryphro, Saint Augustine's Confessions, The Catechism of the Catholic Church, C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, Kathleen Norris' The Cloister Walk, Maria Boulding's The Coming of God, The Rule of Saint Benedict, and Saint Therese's Story of a Soul.

I'm not listing the Bible because I think that goes without saying; plus, it feels weird to list the Word of God with Emily Bronte....let alone Nietzsche! :-D


Aside from Ambrose, I don't have any other regular readers who are also bloggers, so I don't know who to tag to answer next. :) Feel free to do yours in the comments box if you like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Yea....I'm going ot link on my blog!!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home